Tuesday 18 September 2012

Lean startup - luv it ^ ^

From the start flare, it was as if Assignment 3 Team 6  (members: Yuan Kai, Tuan, Qiao Liang, Chris Cai, myself) have made multiple 100-metre sprints, based on the the fast and furious to-and-from messages of listed ToDo tasks and the Tasks Done list that were accomplished - impressive team coordination under the leadership of Chris.

Over the one week or more, I was on a mission, to see if I can contribute from another perspective to the team of three coders & one designer who have labored hard and fast.

Hence, I devoured articles on the project related businesses and attended presentations (at last Sat's Tech Launch). A few words kept surfacing - Lean startup (Eric Ries), UX, Minimum Viable Product, Minimum Viable Business (Pollenizer) and Progressive User Adoption Strategy.

Last evening, I was pleasantly surprised when AWS speaker spoke about Lean Startup and even gave copies of Eric Ries' books - fabulous, I got hold of one of Eric Ries book too! And last night, I can't wait to read at least one section of Lean Startup book by Eric Ries - it provided insights on why many startups failed. For me, it's a reflection of my own failed entrepreneurial journey, and the insights glimsed were nothing short of amazing.

More importantly, it points to the direction that the startup processs could be managed objectively using Minimum Viable "--" , Lean UX, and the iterations of 3 interacting forces throughout the startup before sustainable growth is attainable: coding, users, and business sense/cents.

Much thanks to Colin, I was allowed to share my understanding of how the lean startup concept is relevant in our CS3216 context - tho' my proposed model would have looked rudimentary and the slides over wordy (apologies, attribute it to first cut fumbling lah : p).

At long last I have found the answers that I seeked: how is it that I failed my entrepreneurial pursuits time and again, and I could never seems to fathom what have I done (gone) wrong.

For once, I see the light at the end of a long journey - a new hope, a new beginning!

Luv life, luv it ^ ^

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind words!

    I can honestly say all my insights to the direction we should take the app came from the talks and insights from you!

    I too am a believer in the idea of a Lean Start up, an idea that was introduced to me by Professor Juzar last semester. The way I think about projects now is heavily based on the idea of validated experience(reviews) ^^.

    On top of that, the greatest source of learning is our reflection on experience and failure, there is no other way to truly gain knowledge. The only real failure happens when we stop trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you for your kind words too - a jolly good way to motivate each other to leap frog to greater height despite the odds with startups!

      Let's leverage & assimilate more of Lean Start up philosophy and validated learning to increase the chances of success!

      Power to all CS3216 teams!

      Delete
  2. You did a great talk, and I know quite a few people definitely appreciated it.

    I needs to get myself a copy of Lean Startup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lean Startup book has many anecdotes, certainly worth the time and money! Thanks for your encouragement!

      Delete